Charlotte

Charlotte

Monday, October 26, 2015

DAY TWENTY-FIVE - Insidious: Chapter 3 (horror movie challenge - 31 days of horror)

DAY TWENTY-FIVE - INSIDIOUS: CHAPTER THREE (2015)


Insidious: Chapter 3 came out this year. Written and directed by Leigh Whannell in his directorial debut, it is the prequel to the first two movies. Leigh Whannell, Angus Sampson and Lin Shaye reprise their roles as our favorite trio of ghost hunters, and it stars Dermot Mulroney and Stefanie Scott as our haunted family.
In Chapter 3 Elise is retired and refusing to use her psychic abilities as the Bride in Black from the first film has threatened to kill her. Quinn, a young teenager whose mother has passed away, reaches out to Elise because she believes her mother is haunting her apartment. Elise realizes it isn’t the spirit of the mother but an evil spirit and encourages Quinn not to talk to it.

Quinn is severely hurt after she sees the spirit waving at her from down a darkened street, so focused on him she doesn’t see the car that plows into her. She returns home a few weeks later with two broken legs and is bed ridden. But the evil spirit is alive and well inside her apartment and the attacks on her are getting worse and worse. Her Dad is struggling to believe her until he finds her one night out of bed with an injured neck after the demon had thrown her across the room. He reaches out to Elise but she still refuses to help, her fear over taking her.
The father decides to reach out to an online ghost hunting duo. But when they show up and spend the night, they realize this goes way beyond what they can handle. Elise becomes possessed and kicks off her casts, walking on her already broken legs. Luckily Elise shows up after realizing she shouldn’t let fear control her, and begins to save the day. 
Was this movie as great as the first two? Not even close. But it was enjoyable as a fan of the Insidious series. Elise remains a bad ass mother fucker who doesn’t let any spirit fuck with her. The scares are strong, though the weakest of the trilogy, and the imagery remains haunting. When Quinn is laying in bed and looks over to see the evil spirit behind her curtains, I was screaming. I swear, these Insidious films are the only ones that can make me jump anymore. 


The story was fine, there were no gaping plot holes that I noticed. It was fun watching how Elise met Specs and Tucker and how she convinced them to work with her. But, as far as the first two go, this one was not as great. Nothing specific….just….everything lacking a little bit.
I did enjoy the ending, which leads us directly into the first movie. 


I’ll definitely watch it again, and I remain an Insidious fan. The score, the originality, the creepiness. It’s all a big win for me! 7/10

Guys! This is my 100th post! How exciting!!!! For me only. I wish I could do something special like….100 reasons why Jason Voorhees is my spirit animal. But alas, it is just a review for Insidious 3. I wonder if I’ll make it another 100? I should figure out when the anniversary of this blog is, it might be the longest thing I’ve ever accomplished. That’s what she said.
Headed into the last stretch here, Halloweek is filled with all my horror favorites. So none of these will be new to me but you can read me reminisce and get sloppy about them. Also only four more days till my presentation and I'm terrified....

Stay Spooky!

No comments:

Post a Comment